Tobago officials meet to discuss safety By Gay Nagle Myers / October 24, 2008 Share 1 -- On Friday, Tobago's ministers of national security and tourism, the commissioner of police and other top security personnel met to discuss safety on the island, in response to recent crimes committed against tourists.Officials were to "discuss strategies and initiatives to ensure safety for all on the island," said Orville London, chief secretary in the Tobago House of Assembly.Police briefly held, but then released for lack of evidence, four suspects in connection with the murder of a Swedish couple. The man and woman were hacked to death Oct. 9 in their vacation home in the Bon Accord district in southwestern Tobago.In the Oct. 20 rape and robbery of two British women at the Black Rock Dreams guesthouse on Tobago's northwest coast, police continue to pursue various leads, according to a statement released by London. "We strongly condemn the recent assaults on British nationals here in Tobago," London said. "The Tobago police, under assistant commissioner of police Fitzroy Frederick, continue to pursue all leads in both the double murder of the Swedish couple and the sexual assault on the U.K. nationals with a view to apprehending the perpetrators of these criminal acts."The British government has issued a Tobago advisory, warning travelers about crime on on the island. The British Foreign Office has urged travelers to be cautious and to stay in hotels with tight security measures and 24-hour guards.Six people have been murdered on Tobago this year. So far this year, there have been 440 homicides on the twin-island republic of Trinidad and Tobago, up from 279 at the same time last year, according to the republic's police commissioner, James Philbert.