Hurricane Sandy tore through New York, New Jersey and surrounding areas, and damage from flooding and winds has displaced thousands. Travel industry groups are setting up fundraising initiatives for disaster relief and recovery for the victims in the area.
Below is a partial listing of the services and aid being provided by travel companies worldwide. To add a listing of what your company is doing, send an email to email@example.com.
• Ink48, A Kimpton Hotel located in New York's Hell's Kitchen, will donate 10% of the proceeds of the Pay it Forward with Travel promotion, which is offered throughout January, to the Mayor's Fund to help Sandy victims.
• Bacara Resort & Spa in Santa Barbara, Calif., began a program that allows guests to donate their unopened in-room amenities to be used in Direct Relief's Personal Care Pack Program to be delivered to those impacted by Sandy. Guests have already donated 300 items in addition 1,300 items donated by Bacara, including shampoo, lotion and body wash.
• Carnival Corp. is donating $2 million to four charities working to provide relief and help rebuild in New York and New Jersey after Hurricane Sandy. The Robin Hood Relief Fund will receive $1 million, Habitat for Humanity International will receive $500,000 and Save the Children and the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City -- Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts each will receive $250,000.
• Starwood's New York-born brands -- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts and W Hotels Worldwide -- announced their commitment to donate and raise a minimum of $150,000 for The Robin Hood Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund through a series of initiatives at the individual properties across the country.
• Elite Island Resorts will donate $50 per direct booking to the American Red Cross to aid with disaster relief and rebuilding efforts in communities affected by Hurricane Sandy. Donations will be made on behalf of guests making reservations through the end of the year at St. James's Club & Villas, The Verandah Resort & Spa and Galley Bay Resort & Spa, all in Antigua; St James's Club Morgan Bay in St. Lucia; Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas in Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Palm Island Resort in St. Vincent and the Grenadines; and The Club in Barbados.
• The Gansevoort Meatpacking and Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, two properties in Manhattan, are collecting donations of new clothing, wrapped toiletries, canned foods and other items for relief efforts in the area and are offering guests a voucher for a complimentary cocktail if they bring in items valued at $10 or more during their stay.
• Through Nov. 30, the Cape Resorts Group, a collection of properties in Atlantic City and Cape May, N.J., will donate 4% of gift card sales and room reservation sales for stays in 2012 and 2013 to the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund.
• The James hotel brand, with properties in New York and Chicago, is offering the Peace, Love & Room Service package with 20% of proceeds from each booking donated to the Red Cross.
• The Westin Resort & Casino Aruba will donate $20 per day to the American Red Cross with all bookings of its Hurricane Sandy Relief promotion for stays through April 7.
• Affinia Hotels, with properties in New York and Washington, will make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross through bookings of its Warm & Fuzzy package for stays through Feb. 28.
• Marriott International and the J. Willard & Alice S. Marriott Foundation will each donate $250,000 towards Hurricane Sandy victims’ relief. Half the total will be given to the American Red Cross while the other half is earmarked for longer-term recovery efforts. The company is also encouraging loyalty members to donate points towards American Red Cross contributions.
• Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa in Stowe, Vt., is offering complimentary rooms for up to seven nights through Nov. 20 for East Coast residents in disaster areas.
• The Out NYC is accepting hard-good donations on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10 a.m. and noon through Nov. 15. Donors are asked to bring donations to the back entrance at 515 West 41st Street between 10th and 11th Avenues and mention "Sandy Donation."
• The Charles Hotel in Cambridge, Mass., is donating $5 for every night booked on its discounted Thanksgiving stay. Valid between Nov. 18 and 26, rooms are priced at $199 per night or $219 with parking.
• The Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon is giving all ING NYC Marathon entrants a 20% discount to its Dec. 2 race and will also make a matching 20% donation to FeedingAmerica.org. Entrants must use code BIGAPPLE to get the discount/donation.
• Northstar Travel Media, Travel Weekly's parent company, collected goods for distribution on behalf of the Salvation Army in the New York-New Jersey area. In addition, NTM also continues to offer its Charitable Contributions Matching Program for monetary donations made by employees.