Engaged clients looking to go green with their wedding and honeymoon plans might be pointed to Dominica, the lush, tiny Windward Islands destination that markets itself as the Caribbean's "Nature Island."
Dominica -- not be confused with the Dominican Republic -- boasts volcanic mountains rising nearly 5,000 feet, some of the world's last true oceanic rain forests, more than 365 rivers, multiple waterfalls, the second-largest "boiling lake" in the world and extensive coral reefs. The island is also home to the last remaining settlement of the Caribbean's indigenous Carib Indian inhabitants.
Several hotels and resorts across the nearly 290-square-mile, nature-rich islet are wooing fiancees and newlyweds with special rates, deals and packages.
• Jungle Bay Resort & Spa: The Escape Weddings and Honeymoons coupon special nets clients $500 off their reservation and the services of a private, professional wedding planner. This special is valid on reservations booked by Aug. 31; rates start at $1,500. When booking, refer to coupon code wedding09; visit www.junglebaydominica.com/weddings.cfm.
• Calibishie Cove: The seven-night Caribbean Honeymoon package includes accommodations in the Paradise Penthouse, a bottle of champagne, extra flowers, one candlelight dinner, one waterfall tour and a one-day kayak rental. Rates start at $1,595 per couple; visit www.calibishiecove.com.
• The Anchorage Hotel: A Honeymoon package special includes seven nights' accommodations, welcome drink and fresh-fruit platter, bottle of Champagne, daily breakfast, one five-course private candlelight dinner, airport transfers, one whale and dolphin safari tour, and one trip to Screw's Sulphur Spa. Rates begin at $1,699 per couple; visit www.anchoragehotel.dm.
• Calibishie Lodges: The Honeymoon Special promotion includes four nights' accommodation, airport transfers, private driver and car, welcome drink, bottle of champagne, flowers, daily breakfast and excursions such as a hike to Chaudiere Pool, water-tubing in Concord and a visit to the Indian River and National Park. Rates start at $1,500 per couple; visit www.calibishie-lodges.com.
• Rainforest Paradise: The Couples package offers river cabin accommodations, daily breakfast and a tour and lunch at the Rainforest Mushroom Farm. Rates begin at $840 per couple. Visit www.rainforestparadise.com.
• Crescent Moon Cabins: Five-night rainforest cabin stays, with Caribbean Sea views, include daily organic dinners for two and private tours upon request to Boiling Lake, Morne Trois Pitons and any of Dominica's waterfalls. Rates start at $1,218 per couple, all-inclusive; visit www.crescentmooncabins.com.
Known as "Nature Island" and located between the French islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique in the eastern Caribbean, the independent nation of Dominica (pronounced "dom-in-eek-a") is the largest and most mountainous of the Windward Islands, encompassing an area of nearly 290 square miles.
For more information on the island, contact Discover Dominica Authority at (866) 522-4057 or www.discoverdominica.com.