Aker Yards France on Oct. 7 suspended the flow of supplies to subcontractors for Norwegian Cruise Line's second F3 vessel, while the yard tries to resolve a dispute with NCL over the first F3 ship.
"We have suspended supplies from our subcontractors for six weeks for the second vessel," said Torbjorn Anderson, senior vice president of corporate communications for Aker Yards. "We are doing this to get more flexibility in the schedule and to make sure there is minimum negative impact on the second vessel while we continue to resolve the dispute for the first vessel."
The yard had previously confirmed that it is in a dispute with NCL over construction costs for the F3 ships.
According to an Oct. 8 report in industry publication Lloyd's List, the yard had suspended work on the first of the 4,200-pasenger ships, which is scheduled for a 2010 debut. But Andersen said work on the first NCL vessel continues to progress and that the ship is about 25% complete.
"We have a contract for two vessels, and we have a dispute over the first of two vessels, not the second," Andersen said on Oct. 8. "We are currently working on solving that dispute. Construction of the first vessel is ongoing. However, while we are working to resolve this dispute, we are in very close contact with all our suppliers to minimize any effect from that dispute on the second vessel."
NCL said it would not comment on "commercial or legal disputes."