After receiving clearance from the U.S.
Coast Guard, the National Transportation Safety Board and British
flag authorities to sail, Princess Cruises Crown Princess departed
Port Canaveral, Fla., July 20 en route to Brooklyn, N.Y., where it
is expected to arrive at 8:30 a.m. on July 22.
The ship suddenly
listed 16 to 18 degrees on July 18, injuring 240 passengers,
shortly after departing Port Canaveral near the end of the new
ships fourth sailing. All but two of the injured passengers have
been released from hospitals as of July 20, and the pair was
expected to make a full recovery.
The USCG and NTSB
said they would have investigators accompany the Crown Princess on
its way back to New York to conduct investigations.
spokeswoman Julie Benson said that passengers will begin embarking
at mid-day July 22 for a revised seven-day sailing that is expected
to depart at 5:00 p.m. The cruise will call in Grand Turk, Turks
and Caicos and Bermuda, and not in San Juan and St. Thomas as
originally scheduled, before returning to New York on July 29 to
resume its regular nine-day cruise schedule.
The interior damage
to the ship will be repaired en route to New York, while in port
there and during the next sailing. Repairs needed include replacing
carpeting, boutique windows, televisions and furnishings, and
replenishing supplies, said Benson.
The next cruise is
expected to sail with about 3,000 people on it, Benson said, adding
that there had been some cancellations but also some new
contact reporter Johanna Jainchill, send e-mail to [email protected].