Royal Caribbean International is scaling back renovations to
the Adventure of the Seas, citing extensive hurricane damage at the Grand Bahamas
Shipyard in Freeport, where the work was scheduled to take place.
Freeport suffered the greatest destruction anywhere in the
Bahamas from Hurricane Matthew's pass last month.
Royal Caribbean said the Adventure will still exit drydock
on Nov. 14, but without many of the improvements that had been planned. Some
will be added on the first few sailings after drydock.
In a letter to travel partners, Royal Caribbean said work
will continue on the Dual Racer water slides, FlowRider and Splashaway Bay aqua
park with a new opening date of Dec. 10.
Royal Caribbean said its premium steakhouse, Chops Grille,
won't open on the Adventure until early next year. In the meantime, Giovanni's
Table will offer select items on the Chops menu.
Plans to add Izumi, a Japanese restaurant, have been
Also, the introduction of new suites and staterooms "is
no longer possible at this time," the letter said. Royal Caribbean and
travel partners will be contacting guests who had booked those rooms to discuss
Improvements that will open for the initial sailing after
the drydock include Boleros Latin lounge and the two-story mini-golf course.
In addition to storm damage at the shipyard, Royal Caribbean
cited the global rerouting of cargo ships carrying equipment and materials as a
factor in the modified renovation plan.
Launched in 2001, the Adventure of the Seas is a Voyager-class
ship. In 2014, it received "Royal Advantage" upgrades, including an
outdoor movie screen, digital signage, ship-wide WiFi, new Concierge and
Diamond lounges, and the changeover of the Portofino restaurant to Giovanni's