Star Clippers said it would return to Antigua next winter, after dropping the island from itineraries following the murder of a Royal Clipper passenger there earlier this year.

"Star Clippers has been assured by the Antiguan government that they have improved security on the island, particularly in the areas where our guests visit," Jack Chatham, president of Star Clippers Americas, said in a statement today.

"We will do a site inspection prior to our November 2010 port calls in Antigua to determine if all our concerns have been addressed. If we conclude that issues of safety and increased security have not been resolved to our satisfaction, we will change the itineraries of Royal Clipper and Star Clipper to include alternative ports of call."

The tall-ship line dropped Antigua on its last five itineraries this past winter season after a passenger traveling with her family on the Royal Clipper was attacked and killed during a midday beach barbecue on Pigeon Beach on Jan. 19.

Police arrested a 24-year-old man from Dominica for the stabbing of the San Francisco graduate student, Nina Elizabeth Nilssen, who was celebrating her sister’s wedding.

Comments

From Our Partners

2020 Australia Webinar
Australia is open for business
Register Now
Australia Is Open for Business
Australia Is Open for Business
Read More
2020 Events 365
Discover Unforgettable Live Events with Events 365
Register Now

JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI