Cruise12 MSC Cruises and 5 Costa passengers killed

Two tourists hid in museum overnight after attack in Tunis

|

MSC Cruises said two passengers on the MSC Splendida who had been missing following the museum attack on Wednesday in Tunis were found safe.

The two Spanish citizens, young couple Cristina Rubio Benlloch and Juan Carlos Sanchez Oltra, had spent the night in hiding at the Bardo National Museum, MSC said in a statement.

The woman, who is pregnant, was taken to the hospital. Both her and the unborn child are reported well, MSC said.

The cruise line updated its numbers to say that 12 passengers on the Splendida were killed in the attack and 13 were injured. Two are in serious condition, MSC said.

Costa Cruises said on Thursday afternoon that five of its guests on the Costa Fascinosa were killed and eight were injured.

According to the Associated Press and reports from the lines, both MSC and Costa had tour groups at the Bardo museum when the attack began. Both companies recalled passengers and excursion buses to the ships immediately following the attack. Costa has cancelled all future calls to Tunis, the AP reported.

MSC said its executive chairman, Pierfrancesco Vago, met Tunisia’s minister of tourism, Salma Elloumi Rekik, on Thursday. MSC said that Rekik confirmed that 20 people died in the attack.

Both ships have left Tunis; the Fascinosa was en route to Palma di Mallorca, and Splendida was en route to Barcelona. The lines both said senior executives and members of their care teams were on the ground in Tunis.
___

This report was updated on Thursday afternoon to add that five passengers on the Costa Fascinosa were killed in the attack.

Comments
JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI