Reed Travel Features
HAMILTON, Bermuda -- Dining does not have to be a slow and
expensive experience in Bermuda. There are a number of
establishments on the island that offer home cooking at reasonable
prices. The following are a few examples:
* Dinty's Lunch Wagon. With locations in Hamilton and Elbow
Beach, Dinty's offers such local fare as fish cakes, meat pies,
fish burgers and hamburgers. Prices start at $3.25. Hours are from
11 a.m. to 7 p.m daily.
* Fat Man's Cafe. Situated in Devonshire Parish, the cafe
features fish cakes, hamburgers and sandwiches from $3. The
restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. weekdays; Saturdays
from 11 p.m. through 11 a.m. Sundays.
* Green Lantern. The Pembroke shop offers fish chowder, beef
pies, fish and chips and hamburgers. Prices start at $3.50. Hours
are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 9 a.m.
to 9 p.m.; Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* The Ice Queen. In Paget Parish, the eatery features pizza,
hamburgers and sandwiches as well as children's meals. Hours are 10
a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
* Kathy's Coffee. Located on Front Street in Hamilton, Kathy's
features fish chowder, chicken curry, codfish cakes, hamburgers
and, of course, coffee, starting at $4. Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4
a.m. Mondays through Fridays; 8:30 a.m. to 4 a.m. on Saturdays.
* Local's Restaurant. Just off Front Street in Hamilton, Local's
serves fresh local and imported fish starting at $3.50. The
restaurant is open Mondays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 11
p.m., Sundays from 5 to 11 p.m.
* The New Checkmate. The restaurant in Hamilton serves such
regional specialties as chicken curry and goat curry. Hours are 11
a.m. to midnight Mondays through Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
* Pizza Dudes. In Paget, the Dudes offers pizza, submarine
sandwiches, salads, lasagna and gyros. An authentic Bermudian
codfish-and-potatoes breakfast is available on Sundays. Prices
begin at $6.50. Hours are noon to 10 p.m. Mondays through
Thursdays, noon to midnight Fridays and Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 10