Reed Travel Features
KIHEI -- The Kihei Destination Association is promoting special
events scheduled for south Maui in 1997.
Following is a list of events:
* Whale Day Celebration. March 15. The Pacific Whale
Foundation's 17th annual celebration at Wailea Shopping Village, 9
a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission is free to the event, which includes displays,
entertainment, food and craft booths, plus a fun run in the
Kihei/Wailea area and children's activities.
* Just Desserts. Late March (date to be announced). Maui chefs
and bakers prepare chocolates and desserts at the Maui Prince
Hotel, a fundraiser for the Maui Humane Society.
* Maui County Agricultural Trade Show & Sampling, April 26,
at the Ulupalakua Ranch and Tedeschi Winery.
The annual event brings together buyers and sellers of
agricultural and other Maui-made products and includes floral
displays, gift items for sale and cooking demonstrations. Admission
* Kihei Sea Fest 97. April 26 and 27. Held at Kamaole Beach, the
annual event features canoe races, entertainment, crafts and food
Sponsored by Maui's Malama Ula Canoe Club, it raises funds for
youth ocean activities.
* Taste of South Maui. June 15. Meet chefs from south Maui's top
restaurants in this benefit for the Kihei Youth Center.
* Maui Writers Conference. Aug. 29 to Sept. 1. Held at the Grand
Wailea Resort, the annual event brings together best-selling
authors, publishers, and filmmakers with unpublished and would-be
Presenters in 1996 included director Ron Howard ("Apollo 13"),
Jackie Collins ("Hollywood Wives"), Richard Paul Evans ("The
Christmas Box") and Ron Bass ("Rainman").
* Maui County Fair. Oct. 2 to 5. At Wailuku War Memorial complex
in central Maui, the annual event includes a parade, horticulture
exhibits, livestock, amusement rides, games and entertainment with
South Maui hotels participating. Admission is $3.
For further information, call (808) 875-0457.