MIAMI -- Carnival
Cruise Lines Holiday was to return to its Mobile, Ala., homeport
for a Sept. 3 cruise, less than a week after it was relocated to
Tampa, Fla., to avoid Hurricane Katrina.
But there is no
estimated time of return for Carnivals New Orleans-based vessels.
The Carnival Conquest and the Sensation were diverted to Galveston,
Texas, last week. Disembarkation of the 110,000-ton Conquest, which
carries more than 3,000 passengers, was staged over two days in a
converted container terminal.
The Conquest is out
of service until Sept. 11 due to previously scheduled drydock
maintenance; but it will sail from Galveston indefinitely when it
returns on its seven-day Sunday schedule.
The Sensation sailed
out of Galveston on its Sept. 1 and Sept. 5 cruises. A Carnival
spokesman said plans for future cruises were still being
Galvestons port director, said that having the Conquest in on
Sundays would put the port at capacity with three cruise ships.
Were going to do what we can to help everybody, he said.
Carnival is the only
cruise line to offer year-round cruising from New Orleans.
Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean International are
scheduled to bring ships in for the winter Caribbean season in
October and November, respectively.
The New Orleans-based
Delta Queen Steamboat Co., meanwhile, continued to operate. All
three of its ships were sailing on the Upper Mississippi and Ohio
rivers when Katrina hit; the American Queen had left New Orleans
for Memphis just days before.
A reduced number of
reservation agents were relocated to the Buffalo, N.Y.,
headquarters of Delta Queens parent company Delaware North Cos., as
per its established storm emergency plans.
reporter Rebecca Tobin, send e-mail to [email protected].