State Dept. issues Bosnia travel warning

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. State Department issued a warning April 13 against travel to Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the U.S. Embassy said it plans to withdraw official U.S. government employees from areas of western Herzegovina and to restrict travel through these areas until further notice.

The areas in question include West Mostar, Livno, Siroki Brujeg, Grude, Medjugorje, Posusje, Tomislavgrad and Ljubuski.

The State Department said foreigners are at risk from occasional localized political violence, land mines and unexploded ordnance.

There have been recent outbreaks of mob violence against American citizens and other foreigners, particularly in the Herzegovina region.

Earlier this month, the State Department said, a number of incidents occurred in which Americans and other foreigners were brutally attacked, pelted with rocks, robbed, and, in one case, held hostage at gunpoint.

The communities where that violence took place include Mostar, Medjugorje, Grude, Posusje, Livno, Tomislavgrad and Siroki Brijeg. Local officials have said that they cannot guarantee the safety of the international community.

Comments
JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI