Reed Travel Features
SACRAMENTO -- Old Adobe Fiesta. Wheels to the Sea. Lion
These are the names of some of the more than 400 events and
celebrations that will be held in California State Parks and
recreation areas this year.
The complete calendar is listed in a 76-page booklet.
The publication by the California State Parks Division lists the
events by date and by category, such as nature, African-American,
Hispanic-American and wildlife.
Some of the events are free; some charge an entrance and/or
A sampling of events for the next three months follows:
* April 12. Lake Perris Recreation Area Fishing Derby. Open to
children ages 7 to 15, with contests in all categories; (909)
* April 19 and multiple dates. Sutter's Fort State Historic Park
Living History Days.
People in period costume portray Capt. John Sutter and his
settler band of spinners, weavers, blacksmiths and mountain men;
* April 26 to 27. Big Basin Redwoods Trail Days.
Under the supervision of the Santa Cruz Mountain Trail
Association, participants build new trails or help maintain
existing trails in the forest; (408) 338-8860.
* April 26 to 27. Fort Humboldt State Park Donkey Days.
Displays of logging equipment and steam engines; (707)
* May 3. Angel Island State Park Annual Guardsmen Race.E
A 4.8-mile footrace around the island in San Francisco Bay;
* May 3 to 4. Columbia State Historic Park Fire Muster.
A display of modern and historic fire equipment operated by paid
and volunteer crews from around the area; (209) 532-0150.
* May 14. Leland Stanford Mansion State Park Birthday Ice Cream
The event marks the life of the man who founded Stanford
University; (916) 324-0575.
* May 18 and 25. Mount Tamalpais State Park 84th Annual Mountain
"South Pacific" is performed in the Mountain Outdoor Theater;
* June 8. Angel Island State Park Artillery Battle.
Mock battle is mounted between Union soldiers defending Angel
Island and Confederate sailors on historical ships in the bay;
* June 28 to 29. Benbow Lake Summer Arts Festival.
Minstrels, jugglers, clowns and dance troupes perform amid arts
and crafts stalls; (707) 923-3368.
For a copy, write to the Marketing and Revenue Generation
Division, California State Parks, Box 942896, Sacramento