TAIWAN -- Health authorities here reported that a medical
researcher contracted SARS, raising concerns in Asia of a possible
resurgence of the deadly respiratory virus.
Officials said the 44-year-old man is believed to have
contracted the disease Dec. 5 during a laboratory experiment with
the virus here.
He developed a fever after returning from a trip to Singapore,
where 70 people who came in contact with him were quarantined Dec.
Taipei Municipal Hospital reported the man was in stable
Singapore's health authorities said the quarantine orders were a
precautionary measure, adding that no one had contracted the
SARS, which is believed to have emerged in China's Guangdong
province in November 2002, killed 774 people and infected another
8,000, the majority in Asia.
The World Health Organization declared that SARS had been
contained worldwide on July 5.
To contact reporter Jorge Sidron, send e-mail to [email protected].