Venice is postponing the introduction of a tourist entrance fee for day visitors until early 2023, according to Euronews.
The city had been slated to begin collecting $10 from day visitors (anyone not booked in a hotel for at least one night) in June after announcing it would move forward with the plan earlier this year.
A spokesperson for the mayor's office said last week that the Venice city council is holding off on introducing the entrance fee this summer in order to collect more tourist-related data that will address the best ways of how to implement and operate the new system.
"For these reasons we have decided to experiment more extensively in the coming months on a voluntary reservation system that will allow us to test the system in the City," said the mayor's spokesman, Alessandro Bertasi. "We will then proceed to put the entire system into operation in the early months of next year, which will also envisage the payment of an access fee ranging from 3 to 10 euros, aimed exclusively to visitors deciding to come to Venice for the day."
Venice mayor Luigi Burgrano said on Twitter on April 18 that the fee was the right move "for a more balanced management of tourism."
Venice in 2021 had already banned cruise ships exceeding 25,000 gross tons from the Giudecca Canal. Venice is still on cruise itineraries, but large ships are calling at alternate ports.
The plan is to have day tourists make a reservation to enter Venice via an app. The Venice town council said the booking app and online payment system will begin operating in January 2023.