Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to increase entrance fees

|

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, along with other U.S national parks, will increase its entrance fees as of Jan. 1. 

The new entrance fees will be $30 per vehicle and $25 per motorcycle (increases of $5) and $15 for pedestrians and cyclists (a $3 increase). The entrance fee is good for seven days. 

The Tri Park Pass, an annual pass that allows visitors unlimited entry to the three fee-charging national parks in the Aloha State, Hawaii Volcanoes and Haleakala National Parks, and Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, will also increase Jan. 1, from $50 to $55.

At Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, at least 80% of entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. The remaining 20% of the entrance fee income is shared with other national parks for their projects. 

The fee increase was first proposed by the National Park Service in October 2017, and approved after a public comment period. 

"Throughout the country, the combination of an aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms and other visitor services and led to an $11.9 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide," a Hawaii Volcanoes National Park statement said.

National parks have experienced record-breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the previous five years. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park had 1.1 million visitors in 2018.

The additional revenue from entrance fees at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will include the rehabilitation of the Ohia Wing into a cultural museum and archives, a new park orientation film, new exhibits that interpret the 2018 eruption of Kilauea and trail improvements.

Comments

From Our Partners

Crystal Cruises – What’s Next, 2020 & the 30th Anniversary Collection
Crystal Cruises – What’s Next, 2020 & the 30th Anniversary Collection
Watch Now
HAL_AlaskaCruising_Hero
Capitalizing on a Peak Year for Alaska Cruising
Read More
2020 Elite Island Webinar
More Family Fun in St. Lucia @ St. James’s Club Morgan Bay
Register Now

JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI