Hawaii's an even hotter ticket in the summer, when a wave of seasonal packages add to the Islands' allure, especially for families with children on summer break.
Families can always bank on complimentary cultural activities at Hawaiian resorts, but properties are delving deeper than lei making, hula lessons and ukulele classes. Here are a few summer-focused packages and activities for children:
• Gracing the Big Island of Hawaii's Kohala Coast, the Fairmont Orchid ups the cultural ante with petroglyph field hikes. A Fifth Night Free With Breakfast promotion lures families to linger longer. Kids 5 and younger receive complimentary children's meals at all Fairmont properties, while those 6 to 11 enjoy 50% off the regular menu. See www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawaii.
• Embracing the suite life on Maui, the Fairmont Kea Lani's "Book Now, Save Later" promotion provides up to a 30% discount on suites and villas, which shine with homey conveniences like a private bedroom, refrigerator, microwave and access to complimentary laundry facilities. Freebie fun includes the one-hour outrigger canoe experience, where guests learn paddling basics as well as the boat's cultural relevance. See www.fairmont.com/kealani.
• Destination Resort Hawaii embraces Maui's natural wonders with an Adopt-A-Dolphin & Eco-Cruise Family Adventure plan at five of its Wailea properties. Families of four enjoy two-bedroom accommodations, daily use of a rental car, dining certificates and an Ocean Raft Adventure that helps them search for their adopted dolphin. Five-night package rates from $2,200. See www.destinationresortshawaii.com.
• Four Seasons' complimentary Kids for All Seasons program engages children ages 5 to 12 with activities ranging from exploring a tidal pool at the Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay to feeding eagle rays at the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Kaupulehu. See www.fourseasons.com/manelebay and www.fourseasons.com/hualalai.
• Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu's North Shore has a three-night Kids Stay and Play Free plan through Aug. 31. From $459 nightly for two adults and two children, it includes oceanview accommodations, two rounds of golf at the resort's courses, club use for kids, daily breakfast and age-appropriate amenities. See www.turtlebayresort.com.
• The Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa's spacious Ohana Suite sleeps five from $639 nightly. Pursue Your Paradise provides $500 resort credit and $600 suite accommodations credit based on five-night stays. Kids of all ages can thrill as a cliff diver plunges from adjacent Black Rock into the Pacific at sunset. Visit www.sheraton-maui.com.
• From June 13 to Aug. 16, Aston Hotel & Resorts' Summer Sale nightly rates are from $165 on Oahu, $125 on Maui, $95 on Kauai and $185 on the Big Island. Condominium Resort Collection properties couple hotel perks with condo conveniences like private bedrooms, separate living areas, fully equipped kitchens and in-suite laundry facilities. See www.astonhotels.com.
• Prince Resorts Hawaii courts families with Kids Eat Free and Kids Golf Free programs. Through September, kids 12 and younger enjoy free children's meals at select hotel restaurants, and youngsters can tee off with their folks at the Hawaii Prince Golf Club on Oahu and Hapuna Golf Course on the Big Island. The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel doubles the pleasure with a 2-for-1 promotion covering two rooms in the refreshed Beachfront Wing and breakfast buffet for two at Manta from $969 nightly. See www.princeresortshawaii.com.
• Aqua Hotels & Resorts offers plans geared to Waikiki's favorite family activities. The Queen Kapiolani Hotel weaves the Waikiki Aquarium and Honolulu Zoo into separate packages covering accommodations and admissions; plans are priced from $163 nightly on a minimum two-night stay. See www.aquaresorts.com.