Waterways have joined a growing list of river cruise operators that have waived or reduced their single supplement fees on select sailings.
Nearly 10% of Uniworld’s guests traveled on their own last year, according to the river cruise company, which also notes that interest in solo travel continues to grow at a steady rate.
Consequently, Uniworld has waived or reduced the single supplement fee usually charged to guests staying alone in a double accommodation stateroom on a variety of its Europe itineraries throughout 2014 and 2015.
A partial list of departure dates with waived or reduced single supplement fees includes:
• Eight-day Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux: Aug. 3, 10, Nov. 2, 9 in 2014; March 15, 22, Aug. 16 in 2015.
• Eight-day Burgundy & Provence: Aug. 3 in 2014; March 22, 29, April 12, July 26, Aug. 9 in 2015.
• Eight-day Venice & the Gems of Northern Italy: Aug. 3, Nov. 2, 9 in 2014; April 5, 12, June 14, July 5, Aug. 2 in 2015.
• Eight-day Portugal, Spain & the Douro River Valley: Nov. 2, 9, 16 in 2014; March 26, July 16, Aug. 13 in 2015.
• Eight-day Classic Christmas Markets (from Nuremberg to Frankfurt in Germany): Dec. 21 in 2014; Dec. 13 in 2015.
• Eight-day Castles along the Rhine: March 15, 22, April 1, 15, July 8, 15, Aug. 19 in 2015.
Uniworld encourages solo travelers to book early, as departures are capacity-controlled and sell out quickly.
Additionally, European Waterways has waived the single supplement on some of its upcoming canal cruises.
The single supplement will be waived on the eight-passenger canal barge the Anjodi, which sails the Canal du Midi in France, for the Aug. 10 and 17 departure dates.
The rate is $4,550 per person, and includes all meals, wines, an open bar, excursions and local transfers.
It is also being waived on the 12-passenger La Belle Epoque hotel barge, which cruises through Burgundy, for the Aug. 17 and 24 departures. Rates are $4,950 per person on Aug. 17, and $5,690 per person on Aug. 24, and include all meals, wines, an open bar, excursions and local transfers.
Last fall, AmaWaterways waived the single supplement on many of its 2014 departures, and has single-berth staterooms on six of its European vessels.
Tauck too has solo cabins on its river cruise ships, as does Emerald Waterways.