Key West officials update state regarding hotel guest's death

By
|

City government officials in Key West, Fla., have delivered a report to the state attorney's office regarding the carbon monoxide poisoning death of a guest at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort.

Following the Dec. 27 incident, apparently involving a faulty boiler, the city's Building Department revoked the hotel's certificate of occupancy and its occupational license. Florida laws do not require hotels to install carbon monoxide detectors.

The hotel has remained closed since Dec. 29.

"It is still considered an open investigation until the State Attorney's office decides how they want to proceed," Christie Phillips, the police department's public information officer, told TravelWeekly.com.

Phillips declined to comment any further on the report, its findings or when a decision was expected from the state attorney.

Heartland Hotel Corp., a Cedar Rapids, Iowa-based firm, which operates 10 other properties in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Florida, owns the 216-room Doubletree Grand Key Resort.

The investigation involved a multi-agency task force that included city, county and state agencies.

To contact reporter Michael Milligan, send e-mail to [email protected].

Comments
JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI