Footloose and fancy-free:
• Primus Lite Barefoot Shoe: As light and spare a men's shoe as you will find, Vivobarefoot's Primus has an unlined vegan upper and a super-thin, puncture-resistant sole that will get you closer (0.12-inch) to the earth than you would have thought possible without going barefoot. Foldable for easy packing, the Primus will hold up to vigorous walks, jogs and work outs. Available in two hard-to-ignore colors, black with a large white side panel (evocative of the Phantom of the Opera's mask) and white with orange and black highlights. $125; https://www.vivobarefoot.com.
• Astral TR1 Junction Trail Shoe: In addition to protective overlays at the toe and wheel cap, and with a sole designed to reduce foot fatigue, the Junction is a lightweight trail shoe that can handle rugged assignments. Worth noting is the shoe's outsole, which features central beveled lugs for bite in dirt and mud and beveled perimeter lugs for all-around grip. Colors: brown, blue and green. Available in men's and women's sizes. $120; www.astraldesigns.com.
Give us your feedback!
Ever tried a product from a What's New, What's Hot column? Hit the comments below to tell us what you bought and what you thought of it.
• Voltan Black Leather Boots: From the Tasmania-based boot manufacturer Blundstone, this attractive and rugged product provides the kind of shock absorption that makes soft adventure treks even softer. The Voltan, which comes with an extra set of removable footbeds and dual plastic side inserts for a perfect fit, has a steel shank for stability and a toe spring to reduce fatigue. $170 (unisex/men), $185 (women); www.blundstone.com.
• Dash Duck Rain Shoes for Women: Cougar, an Ontario, Canada-based firm that specializes in footwear for puddle jumpers, calls the Dash "sneaker-inspired flats," and that seems a perfect description of this get-ready-for-summer waterproof and slip-resistant shoe. Among its attributes are a removable cushion insole, a fabric lining, inch-and-a-quarter block heel, and a nylon and rubber upper. Women's sizes 6 to 11. $90; www.cougarboots.com.
• Verde Sandals: Equipped with the Superfeet company's custom-designed "supercork" insole; a tread with slip-resistant, flexible grooves; and a leather and mesh outsole, the Verde model sandals for women combine style, comfort and utility for the warm-weather vacationer. And, according to Superfeet, the Verde, which comes in gray, black and white and orange, can ease the discomfort of wearers suffering from plantar fasciitis, foot elongation and heel spurs. $129.95; www.superfeet.com.
• Glee Slipons: The ultimate in casual footwear from Bzees, the Glee model offers a stretch fabric upper, a shock-absorbing heel, a reinforced toe, anti-microbial and odor-control technology, a foam arch and the ease of machine-washability. Available in a variety of colors. $59; www.bzees.com.
Etherius Global Carryon: This four-wheel carryon from the dependable Victorinox of Switzerland measures 15.4 by 21.7 by 7.9 inches (and expands to a depth of 9.1 inches), weighs only 6.2 pounds and packs 2,624 cubic inches of stuff you need for an overnight stay. Other features of this handsome luggage from the new Etherius four-bag line are a three-position locking handle, Hinomoto wheels, zippered divider walls, y-shaped divider straps and an integrated combination lock whose combination can be registered for quick recovery in the event of a memory lapse. A bonus feature with this hard-body case, which comes in silver, gold and rose-gold, is a free, matching polycarbonate iPhone 7 case. $295; https://www.swissarmy.com.
HP Sprocket Photo Printer: As portable as it gets -- it is smaller than a deck of cards -- the pocket-sized Sprocket is HP's answer to anyone who desires to print full-color photo images from a smartphone or tablet as well as from popular social media sites while on the go. Of course, as a function of its portability, the Sprocket's prints are only 2 by 3 inches, though just the right size to post on a bulletin board or refrigerator (the device prints on sticky-backed photo paper, which goes for $9.99 for an extra pack of 20 sheets). Nevertheless, the photos can be customized with emojis, borders and text. The Sprocket, which connects with your digital device through standard Bluetooth technology, prints without the need of ink or ink cartridges. $129.99; store.hp.com.