NEW YORK -- Tourism officials from St. Maarten/St. Martin are
teaming with suppliers to promote the destination to U.S. travel
agents this spring with a series of breakfast and dinner
Sessions with officials, hoteliers and U.S.- and island-based
suppliers will focus on infrastructure improvements, events, new
airlift and access, and growing niche markets.
On the infrastructure and hotel front, agents will learn that
St. Maarten/St. Martin has made recent strides with the opening of
the Philipsburg Marketplace, the Simpson Bay Bridge and the Isle de
Other efforts include the Harbor Point Village initiative in
Philipsburg, the new Marina Fort Louis in Marigot and a hotel and
villa development on Orient Beach.
The seminars also will highlight recent hotel and resort
developments on both the Dutch and French sides of the island.
Event updates will cover Carnival celebrations, to run April 15
to May 3; the annual St. Maarten/St. Martin Annual Regional Trade
Show (SMART), from April 23 to 25; and the Caribbean Offshore Race
(from St. Maarten to St. Kitts and back), scheduled for May 16 to
In addition, island officials will discuss their new focus on
the growing yachting segment.
On the airlift front, the destination is teaming with Delta Air
Lines and Delta Vacations to promote the carrier's nonstop service
from Atlanta, which launched in December.
Seminars are scheduled for the following dates and cities:
• March 31: St. Louis, Chase Park Plaza, at 6 p.m.
• April 1: Louisville, Ky., Executive Inn, at 8 a.m.
• April 1: Cincinnati, the Westin Cincinnati, at 6 p.m.
• April 2: Lexington, Ky., Hilton Suites of Lexington Green, at 8
• April 2: Nashville, Sheraton Music City, at 6 p.m.
• April 3: Birmingham, Ala., Birmingham Marriott, at 8 a.m.
• April 3: Atlanta, J.W. Marriott, at 6 p.m.
• April 4: Marietta, Ga., Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, at 8
The free seminars are open to all prequalified agents. For
reservations, call the St. Maarten Tourist Office in New York at
(800) 786-2278 or the St. Martin Tourist Board at (877)