• The Tequila Express runs on Saturdays only.
• Advance tickets are on sale from the Guadalajara Chamber of
Commerce. As there are limited seats on the train, it's wise to buy
tickets a few days in advance.
• Tickets cost about $60 for adults and about $36.50 for
• The trip begins at 10:20 a.m., with registration and welcoming
at Guadalajara's Train Station (Washington Avenue and Calzada
Independencia). The train departs at 11 a.m.
• The train tours through fields of agave, the plant from which
tequila is distilled, to the Hacienda San Jose del Refugio. Here,
you see the current procedure for making tequila. There is also a
visit to the old distillery, which was built in 1860.
• The trip includes entertainment, a Mexican buffet luncheon and
ample tequila tasting. The train returns to the Guadalajara station
around 8 p.m.
• For information, call (011) 523-880-9099 or go to www.tequilaexpress.com.mx.
• Particularly for business travelers, a top hotel in
Guadalajara is the Hilton, across from Expo Guadalajara and four
miles from the financial center.
For more details on this article, see On the party train: Riding the Tequila