Jamie Biesiada
Jamie Biesiada

Evidence is mounting that more and more consumers are interested in working with travel advisors as they make their way into the world again.

Online leads are up, advisors are anecdotally reporting an increase in new clients who didn't previously use an agent, and an ASTA survey released last week found that 44% of respondents were more likely to use a travel advisor.

But how can you best lure in a potential client who hasn't used an advisor before? After all, that ASTA survey found, 27% of respondents always or often used an advisor before the pandemic. That leaves a whopping 73% who didn't often use an advisor.

ASTA delved into that, as well, with data about survey respondents who have never used a travel advisor. 

These are useful tidbits for travel advisors marketing to potential new clients. Keep them in mind and leverage them when possible.

First, 55% of people who never use a travel advisor said getting a complimentary room upgrade is important to them. Leverage preferred supplier relationships that include room upgrade amenities -- it could be the perk that attracts a consumer.

A large majority -- 72% -- of people who have never used an advisor rank free breakfast as an important amenity. This is another potential area of opportunity, as the Sopciety pointed out.

And 55% of those who haven't used an advisor said they were more likely to use one in the future if they get access to that advisor's insider access and special relationships, ASTA said. 

Just over half (51%) are more likely to use a travel advisor because the advisor puts the clients' interests above their own.

The Society also provided some insight into where consumers want to travel. Based on its latest survey, conducted in early April, while more than half (62%) of those surveyed want to go on vacation in the U.S., 45% indicated they wanted to go to Europe and 44% wanted to go to the Caribbean. That differs from an ASTA survey conducted in January 2020, when 75% of travelers wanted to take a trip in the U.S. and only 17% had Europe in their plans.

Comments

From Our Partners


From Our Partners

2019 Celebrity Cruises Webinar December
Celebrity’s Eco-luxurious Journey’s in the Galapagos Are Back
Register Now
We Love Travel Advisors 2021
We Love Travel Advisors 2021 Guide
Read More
2021 Riviera Nayarit
Location, Location, Location, Choose Riviera Nayarit
Register Now

JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI