Report: Hawaii's timeshare occupancy remains steady in 2017

|

Timeshare occupancy in Hawaii remained steady in 2017 despite some significant inventory growth, according to a report done by the Hawaii Tourism Authority.

Overall, Hawaii's timeshare units reported 89.5% occupancy, a 0.2 percentage point dip from 2016, according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority.

"Timeshare properties continue to be a healthy and reliable segment of Hawaii's tourism industry, with the rate of occupancy for 2017 remaining similar to 2016 even though more total units were added statewide," Jennifer Chun, HTA tourism research director, said in a statement. "In addition, strong timeshare performance did not come at the expense of the hotel industry [which recorded an 80% occupancy rate for the year]."

Timeshare usage was up by 5% in 2017, while hotel usage increased by 4%, according to the report. Statewide occupancy rates dropped as the year progressed, in part due to the introduction of new units, including the opening of two new timeshare properties, the 411-unit Hilton Grand Islander resort on Oahu, and the 195-unit Westin Nanea Ocean Villas on Maui, in addition to units being added to an existing timeshare property on the Island of Hawaii.

"The market absorbed the increase in supply of timeshare units, demonstrating consumer demand for an investment in future vacations to Hawaii," Chun said.

Of the 839,024 total timeshare visitors, 77% stayed exclusively at a timeshare resort, a similar rate to the previous year. The remaining 23% of timeshare visitors also stayed at another type of lodging during their trip. In 2017, timeshare visitors statewide accounted for 9% of all Hawaii visitor arrivals and had an average length of stay of 10.2 days. Both figures were comparable to 2016.

The timeshare survey findings are based on data provided by 52 individual timeshare properties representing 81.3 percent of registered timeshare units statewide.

Comments

From Our Partners

2020 Australia Webinar
Australia is open for business
Register Now
Australia Is Open for Business
Australia Is Open for Business
Read More
2020 Events 365
Discover Unforgettable Live Events with Events 365
Register Now

JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI