ASTA and the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) each said that the Trump administration's revised temporary travel ban appeared to be clearer than the first one, but the groups said they would monitor the effects.

The new order imposes a 90-day suspension of entry to the U.S. for nationals of Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen, effective March 16.

ASTA CEO Zane Kerby said the new executive order seems to be improved compared to the first with regards to its clarity.

"In late January we asked that the administration ... expeditiously set clear rules of the road so that travel industry stakeholders can serve their clients [and] that travel disruptions are kept to a minimum. In that regard, the process for rolling out this new order appears improved but again we intend to keep a close eye on these developments as they unfold," Kerby said. "Minimizing uncertainty and disruption is important to allowing the traveling public to maintain confidence in an industry so vital to our nation's economy."

GBTA executive director Michael McCormick called the ban "an improvement" over the first version, "as it is narrower in scope and provides greater clarity about those travelers who would not be subject to the ban."

The GBTA last month said that $185 million in business travel bookings had been lost because of the original travel ban.

"The specific exemption for legal permanent residents, dual nationals and current visa holders will help mitigate confusion for the international traveling public," he added.

U.S. Travel Association CEO Roger Dow said with the new ban that the administration missed an opportunity to welcome all legitimate travelers.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the administration fully seized the opportunity to differentiate between the potential security risks targeted by the order and the legitimate business and leisure visitors from abroad who support 15.1 million American jobs," Dow said in a statement.

Airline trade organizations steered clear of commenting on the merits of the new travel ban. But they offered positive reactions regarding the 10-day lead time the Trump administration wrote into the executive order. 

"We welcome the advanced notice and coordination with industry before the effective date of the travel restrictions," IATA spokesman Perry Flint wrote in an email.

Airlines for America expressed a similar sentiment.

"We appreciate the administration's clear guidance on the scope of the executive order, and establishment of a timeline for implementation to avoid significant impact to our air travel system and the customers we serve," spokesman Vaughn Jennings wrote in an email.

The Airports Council International -- North America, which advocates for U.S. airports, declined to comment directly on the new order, saying in an email that it is still gathering information on the impact it will have.

Comments
JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI