One by one, hotels across Mexico are announcing their reopening dates -- just in time for the border with the U.S. to reopen to nonessential travel on June 22. Last week alone, dozens of hotel brands announced that their properties had already opened or will reopen in the not-too-distant future. Here is a look at the current hotel landscape in Mexico.
• Original Group has announced the reopening of two of its adults-only resorts: Temptation Cancun Resort and Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort in Puerto Morelos. Temptation reopened on June 10, and Desire will reopen on July 1. Both hotels have implemented new sanitation and safety protocols, such as 50% capacity at restaurants and bars, health screenings of employees and guests, and mandatory face mask use for staff.
• Grupo Xcaret resumed operations as of June 15, with the reopening of Xcaret Park and Hotel Xcaret Mexico. The park and hotel have implemented stringent safety and health protocols. Some include limited capacity at the park and hotel, as well as transportation, temperature checks, encouraged use of online payments and credit cards, twice-daily disinfecting of the guestrooms and luggage disinfecting.
Grupo Xcaret has also been awarded the World Travel & Tourism Council's Safe Travels stamp. The award is given to destinations and brands that comply with standardized health and hygiene protocols.
• Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, Hard Rock Riviera Maya and Unico 2087 Hotel Riviera Maya have officially opened as of June 8, each with new sanitation measures. Additionally, the hotels have offered special rate vouchers that travel advisors can help their clients purchase now for travel to any of AIC Hotel Group's properties, which can be used until Oct. 31, 2021.
• Starting July 1, El Cid Resorts will open its Cancun-Riviera Maya and Cozumel hotels. They have implemented the #AlwaysCommitted protocol program, which consists of a series of new, elevated guidelines in quality and hygiene.
• Club Med Cancun will begin welcoming guests on July 1. Club Med has announced its Let's Escape Again Sale, which is open for bookings through Aug. 26, for travel through Jan. 9. Benefits include up to $500 air credit, no single supplement, kids under 4 years old stay for free, and kids 4 to 15 stay for up to 50% off. Additionally, room upgrades are free.
• Palace Resorts and Le Blanc Spa Resorts have reopened under the company's new Purely Palace standards for cleanliness and safety. For stays booked through June 30, guests booking their first rooms will get a second room of the same value for free, which can be used at the same time or at a later date. The second room can also be gifted.
• Starting June 11, La Coleccion Resorts under the Live Aqua, Fiesta Americana, Grand Fiesta Americana and Explorean brands began a gradual reopening. The company's Travel With Confidence program elevates safety and sanitation measures across all 15 properties. Two resorts are yet to open and are slated for a July 1 reopening: Live Aqua Urban Resort San Miguel de Allende and Fiesta Americana Acapulco Villas.