The Vallarta Nayarit resorts along Mexico’s Pacific coast are reporting a return to normalcy after Hurricane Patricia, the most powerful recorded in the Western Hemisphere, passed about 125 miles south and spared a region that was preparing for the worst.
Just a day after federal, state and municipal authorities had finished evacuating guests from coastal hotels to shelters and the convention center, visitors returned to their rooms, and many were resuming activities that had been scheduled for the afternoon.
Puerto Vallarta Airport opened at noon local time, and the cruise port has reopened, as well.
There was no loss of life or damage to infrastructure, said Gustavo Rivas-Solis, director of the public relations agency Latitude International, which represents Puerto Vallarta’s tourism board.
Mexico Tourism Board CEO Rodolfo Lopez Negrete simply characterized the situation as “business as usual." Negrete noted Monday that Costalegre is still recovering and that the
government of Jalisco is working hard on relief efforts, including in Mascota and
Barra de Navidad.
His assessment was supported by reports from tour operators and hoteliers. Apple Vacations President Tim Mullen said none of the hotels he works with had sustained damages, and that all clients were back in their rooms.
Jack Richards, CEO of Pleasant Holidays, said that based on reports he had received, all his clients had resumed their vacations and that “Pleasant Holidays will resume selling Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, and we will cease moving customers to alternative destinations, effective immediately.”
All 300 Mark Travel clients who were evacuated from Puerto Vallarta during the storm had returned to their hotels in the resort city by Sunday evening, said Mike Going, president of Mark's Funjet Vacations. Mark Travel, which is hosting more than 600 travel agents and its TMTC Summit in Cancun this weekend, had been strategizing about the types of relief efforts to stage from the conference site before Partricia made its late jog to the south.
Gogo Worldwide Vacations President Randy Alleyne said that the wholesaler’s key ground operator in the area, Olympus Tours, had informed him that clients from Secrets Vallarta Bay and Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, who had been evacuated to the Tepeyac School, had been able to return to the properties as early as Friday night.
Local ground operator Vallarta Adventures said it would resume operations Sunday.
Travel Weekly has ascertained that Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ Westin Puerto Vallarta, St. Regis Punta Mita Resort and Sheraton Buganvilias were undamaged. The Westin and Sheraton were scheduled to reopen Saturday, while the St. Regis was slated to resume operations Sunday, as will the Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort.
The CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort
& Spa is open and fully operational as of
Making landfall as a Category 5 hurricane Friday evening, Patricia was downgraded to a tropical depression early Saturday.
This report was updated Sunday, Oct. 25, to include new information from Mark Travel.
UPDATE: The CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta reopened on Oct. 24. A previous version of this report said the hotel would be closed until Oct. 30.
Travel Weekly senior editors Danny King and Gay Nagle Myers and contributing editor Robert Silk contributed to this report.