Entrance fees at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii and Haleakala National Park on Maui will increase June 1.

The cost per vehicle will increase from $15 to $20, but the pass will remain valid for seven days. Per-person fees, or the rate bicyclists and pedestrians pay, will increase from $8 to $10. The cost for motorcyclists will increase from $10 to $15.

The summit of Haleakala, Maui's 10,000-foot shield volcano.
The summit of Haleakala, Maui's 10,000-foot shield volcano. Photo Credit: Ron Dahlquist

Meanwhile, those wishing to camp at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will now need to pay a fee starting June 1. The cost for stays at all backcountry and front-country campsites, including Kulanaokuaiki Campground, will be $10 per site per night. Backcountry campsites will have a stay limit of three consecutive nights, while the front-country campsites will have a stay limit of seven consecutive nights.

The current National Park Service fee program started in 1997 and allows parks to retain 80% of the funds collected, according to officials. The remaining 20% goes to support park units where fees are not charged.

Comments
JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI